Dr Asghar Ali Engineer Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award 2020-21
Central Board of Dawoodi Bohra Community (CBDBC), Centre for Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS), Institute of Islamic Studies (IIS) and Bohra Youth Sansthan (BYS) are instituting the Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award to be presented to person/organization who/ which has contributed in a sustained and substantial manner to promote the legacy of Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer and encouraging others to take up similar work for a just and peaceful society in the areas mentioned in the eligibility criteria.
Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer (1939-2013) was a renowned Islamic scholar and human rights activist. Dr. Engineer’s work and writings touched the lives of many and reflected his commitment to peace, secularism and democracy in the country. He was the founding Chairperson of the Centre for the Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS).
The candidate should have worked in any one of the following areas: To promote liberal and progressive reforms within any religious community
- Contribution to liberation theology in Islam or scholarship of liberal Islam
- Rights of women in Islam
- Communal harmony and peaceful co-existence
- The area of work of the candidate must be related to India
The work or contribution of the candidate in any one area from the above should not be in conflict or contradiction with other areas mentioned above.
Anyone – except Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Memorial Award jury and screening committee members – can propose any individuals or organisations except close relatives or their own organisations to be considered for the Award. The organizations instituting the Award reserve the right to refuse clearly unsuitable proposals.
The recipient of the Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award will be awarded with a cash prize of INR 25,000.
- The nomination should be sent in the prescribed format. It may be supported with information submitted by the candidate in the prescribed format
- The last date for sending nominations is till 31st August, 2021
- The nomination should be sent on c firstname.lastname@example.org
- The nominations will be screened by the screening committee and then sent to the jury to decide.
A Jury consisting of eminent scholars, activists and writers working on the issues of communal harmony and religious reforms will assess the nominations and decide the recipient of the Award.
The recipient will be presented with the Award in a ceremony to be held in tentatively in the month of December, 2021.
Decision of the jury will be final and binding. Format for Nomination:
From the Proposer:
The proposer should be someone who knows the proposed person/organisation well, is familiar with their aims and goals, and can vouch for their bona fides.
The proposer can nominate only one person/organization in one year and can’t nominate the same person in subsequent year.
- Full address, e-mail and phone of self and proposed candidate.
- Nature and length of relationship with the candidate, mentioning professional, financial or political links, if
- The proposer’s expertise relevant to this proposal, mentioning his/her
- A brief summary (no more than 200 words) of the candidate’s work. This paragraph will be the first information our jury receives about the candidate.
- A statement setting out in more detail the reasons for the proposal and the candidate’s special qualifications for the Award.
From the Candidate:
The following information is required from the proposed candidate. The candidate may submit this information jointly with the proposer. Otherwise, we will ask the candidate to submit this information after we have received a valid proposal.
- A short history of your work/organisation including the duration of relevant activities, number of staff and volunteers. State full address, email and phone
- Biographical data on yourself/organisation’s founders and current leadership, also indicating the date of birth
- Written material produced by or about your project/organisation. Materials submitted cannot be returned. If you wish to submit publications, please send no more than one publication and not more than two different books or audio visuals
- Information about the financial situation of your organisation: Indicate your current budget and include copies of your most recent financial statements (balance sheet, profit & loss statement, and auditor’s statement), preferably for the past three years
- Details of sources of financial support like donors, project funds and other sources from which funding have been received in the past three years