Centre for Study of Society and Secularism is happy to announce the 2nd Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award 2019!
This award is presented to the best academic paper published in the previous year (2018 for this year) under the topics mentioned below. Papers published in print journals will qualify for this award.
- Originality and well researched paper
- Contemporary Relevance
- Quality contribution to the existing body of knowledge on:
- Social Cultural Diversity
- Islam and Social Issues like Gender Rights, Human Rights, Social Justice
- Communal Harmony and Peace
- Religion and Society
- The applicant should be the sole author of the paper. Co-authored papers are not eligible for this award.
- The paper must be written in English.
- The word count of the paper must be between 5000 – 7000 words (including bibliography).
- The paper submitted should have been published in a peer reviewed journal (Print) in the year 2018 (between 1stJanuary to 31st December 2018). Papers submitted for publication or ‘in press’ will not be considered.
- The paper must mention the journal’s ISSN number and in which it was published.
The winner of the Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award will be awarded with a certificate and a cash prize of INR 25,000.
- The applicant should submit the published paper in a PDF format (An online version of the paper will be appreciated) with the subject captioned “Submission: Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award 2018” to email@example.com
- Along with a PDF format; another copy of the paper should be submitted in word format which doesn’t mention the name of the author and the journal.
- The mail body should clearly mention the following details:
- Title of the Paper
- Name and ISSN number of the Journal in which the paper is published
- Month, Year in which the paper is published
- Word Count of the Paper including bibliography
- The deadline for submission is 1st August 2019 at 23h59m (IST) (Extended)*.
- The submission must be made by the sole author of the paper.
- A jury consisting of eminent scholars will evaluate papers that meet the criteria.
Winner of the award will be declared on the first week of December 2019.
Decision of the jury will be final and binding.
Background of the Award:
Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer (1939-2013) was a renowned Islamic scholar and human rights activist. Dr. Engineer’s writings and works touched the lives of many and reflected his commitment to peace, secularism and democracy in the country. He was the founder and Chairperson of the Centre for the Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS). In order to promote his legacy of scholarly work on Secularism, Diversity and Islam; CSSS is pleased to announce the Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award.
Note: *The last date of Submission is extended from 1 July to 1 August 2019.
Winner of 1st Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award.
Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award for the year 2017 was presented to Sadia Aziz (Faculty of Social Science, University of Delhi) for her paper titled Mosque, Memory and State: A Case Study of Jama Masjid (India) and the Colonial State c.1857 published in The Polish Journal of Aesthetics, 47 (4/2017), Jagiellonian University in Kraków.
About the Author
Sadia Aziz is a Research Scholar in the Department of History, University of Delhi, India. Her research primarily focuses on Medieval Indian history and History of Islam in India. Her research interests include Monuments of late Mughal period especially the imperial Mosques and Sufi Shrines. Currently she is working on the Mosques built by women- royal ladies, women of nobility and the nautch girls- during the late Mughal period in Northern India.