Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer (1939-2013) was a renowned Islamic scholar and human rights activist. Dr. Engineer’s writings and works touched the lives of many and reflected his commitment to peace, secularism and democracy in the country. He was the founder and Chairperson of the Centre for the Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS). In order to promote his legacy of scholarly work on Islam, secularism and diversity, CSSS is pleased to announce the Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award.
This award is presented to the best academic paper published in the previous year under the topics mentioned below. Papers published in print journals will qualify for this award.
- Originality and well researched paper
- Quality contribution to the existing body of knowledge on:
- Islam and Gender Rights
- Islam and Human Rights
- Islam and Social Justice
- Islam, Communal Harmony and Peace
- Religion and Society
- The applicant should be the sole author of the paper. Co-authored papers are not eligible for this award.
- The paper must be written in English.
- The word count of the paper must be between 4000 – 6000 words.
- The paper submitted should have been published in a journal (Print) in the year 2017 (between 1st January to 31st December 2017). Papers submitted for publication or ‘in press’ will not be considered.
- The paper must mention the Journal’s ISBN number in which it was published.
A cash prize of INR 25000 will be awarded to the winner of the Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer Best Published Paper Award.
The winner of the award will be expected to present the paper during an award ceremony the date for which will be fixed by CSSS.
- The paper must be submitted online in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline for submission is Tuesday, 02nd October 2018 at 23h59 (IST).*
- The submission must be made by the sole author of the paper.
- A jury consisting of eminent scholars will evaluate papers that fulfill the criteria.
The winner of the award will be declared on the first week of December 2018.
The decision of the jury will be final and binding.